Friday, November 28, 2014

Omani stitch

Omani stitch:  what do I want to learn about it?  Besides how to make this complex nalbinding stitch, I want to learn more about the women of Oman who were the source of the stitch.

I want to learn about the tribe and the place where the stitch comes from.
So far, I have:
-one photo of "Desert Socks" in Peter Collingwood's book, The Makers Hand.
-information that both Peter Collingwood and Gigi Crocker are gone from this world.  They brought the desert socks out of Oman.
-Gigi Crocker's papers are in the Pitt Rivers Museum in the UK.  Maybe I could write a letter to the museum and ask if I could view her papers - if I could travel to England...
-one Google image search for the tribe in Arabic. -a friend helped me write the name of the tribe in Arabic.  My friend showed me a map with the tribe's homeland.  Maybe I can ask for help from people who are actually over there.

No comments:

Post a Comment