Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Mokosh

Mokosh - goddess of spinning and weaving is linked to the Fates.  I found this when I looked her up in Wikipedia and then translated the Russian wikipedia page about her.  Mokosh is quite similar to Saint Paraskeva (also known as Saint Friday) according to Russian wikipedia.  It looks like Mokosh was the reason that women were allowed to have a day off from work in ancient times.

I've looked and looked but I still can't find anything to link Mokosh to the poppy plant.  I think Mokosh is the poppy, or maybe poppies are her flower.  Her name sounds like the word, "poppy," in eight languages.  And they are languages from different language families, which is odd...

I've been searching non-stop for days and days.  I'm getting tired.  I wish somebody would help me prove my idea.  I've had some wonderful help from my husband, and a friend who is into history.  But I need to find more evidence.  Maybe I can improve my Google-fu along the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment