Friday, November 10, 2017

Sea-horses in Assisi Embroidery

I found something, but it's just weird.  I was looking at Assisi Embroidery on Pinterest.  I noticed that several examples of this embroidery have sea-horses.  And they look a little like Russian Goddess Embroideries.

While I was looking for something else (I wanted the meaning of the Auskelis / Morning Star symbol from Norweigian sweaters)...  I found a fairytale from Lithuania that might explain those sea-horses.  But Lithuania is not the same country as Assisi, Italy.  I'm getting too careless by sweeping material from one end of Europe to the other.  I've found clues that sweep Norweigian sweaters together with ancient artifacts from Kazakhstan.  If I'm not careful, people will dismiss me with the words, "confirmation bias."  That means finding exactly what you want to find.  Isn't that how people discredited Maria Gimbutas?  And she was educated, while I am not.

On the other hand, I might be correct.  Maybe the symbols I'm studying pop up in distant countries because they are very ancient.  So, they had plenty of time to spread all over Europe and Asia.  Some fairytales could be 10,000 years old.

I'm just going to give a link to the fairytale from Lithuania here:

Wikipedia page for Ausrine
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aušrinė


In the tale, there is a beautiful maiden, the daughter of the sun.  She has 3 appearances:  she can be a girl, a star - the morning star - Venus, and a sea-horse...

In mythology, I'm noticing some gender confusion.  Who drives the sun across the sky?  Is it a male or a female?  Russians have a female figure on the sun shallop.  But Greeks have Apollo driving the sun chariot (I should check on this later.)  Maybe it did not matter much?  You could see your own life reflected in the tales no matter what your gender.  Or maybe men and women had separate but related beliefs?  One set of tales told around the women's fire, and another set of tales for the men's camp fire?

Sea-horses in Rococco Art puzzle me.  It's exciting to think that I may have found an explanation in that fairytale.  Yay!  Another bit of evidence to tie Rococco Art to pagan mythology.  Now why were they using pagan themes in Rococco Art?  There was a 400 page book of art history in the library (name of book?) --- everything you could possibly want to know about why Greek gods and goddesses turn up in this art...  But the author left out the possibility that people may have really believed that pagan stuff.  I will have to try again to read that book.  I'm not being very clear about what I want to say here.

So, that symbol from the sweaters, the Morning Star.  I'm still not sure if it represents the sun or Venus.  But it was fun trying to figure it out.  Along the way, I looked at the flags of Mordovia and Udmurta.  Ha!  Wouldn't it be funny to try to get my friends to say those place names?  (Sometimes as a practical joke, I try to get people to say Ouagadougou.)
But these flag will turn up in this story again.  I hope to use them to explain some other stuff...  I like weird place names.  So what.  I'm a geek.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment