Sunday, November 19, 2017

Pays d'Auge

Some notes on what I'm thinking about now.

Who or what was Auge?  I found a city named Augsburg,Germany.  It was the starting place of German Rococco.  Plus, Augsburg has an interesting location where two rivers meet.  And I found a region of France that was once called Pays d'Auge.  Probably got my spelling wrong here.

Can we link Auge to gold?  And then link gold to the sun & sun worship?

I found a book in the library with the amazing title, The Survival of the Pagan Gods.  Originally it was in French with an even better title.  But this copy is in English.  It dates from 1940, and was reprinted several times.  I'm kind of surprised because  it seems to me that nobody today thinks about theses things except me.  Yes, it's lonely and maybe I'm just not looking in the right places.  I still don't have colleagues.  I want a circle of people willing to talk about this stuff.

I looked up the Wikipedia page for Rococco.  There's no mention of pagan themes in the whole page.  I want to rewrite it.  Also no mention of why => why the heck are there pagan symbols in 1700's art?  I thought that Europe was mostly Christian during that time?  Was it something to do with the Reformation?

I've got two ways to describe my research right now:  1) I'm studying European pagans to e plain the roots of our environmental crisis.  I thought pagans were better forthe earth than Christians.  But I find there's a problem with pagans:  too much fertility.  2). I'm studying why the Rococco art period happened.  And I'm uncovering symbolism hiding in plain sight everywhere.  Every flower and leaf in art says something about wishes for abundance and good fortune.  Plus I'm trying to draw a connection between European heraldry and pagans.  I'm curious about all the flourishes around the outside of the heraldry - more leaves and flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment