Thursday, May 18, 2017

Harlequin

I don't know if I can tell you how I felt when I found this.  I was awestruck.  It gave me shivers.

I found a plant named for Harlequin.  It's an agave that grows in Mexico, and it was used for making rope like sisal.  But this plant also gives juice that can be used to make an alcohol similar to tequila.

So, the name of this plant is Agave fourcroydes.  It's name is Henequen in Spanish.  I found it when I was looking for information about the book, The Teachings of Don Juan, A Yaqui Way of Knowledge by Carlos Castenada.  My guess is that if I want to discover something about medieval shamanism,  then I need to read this book.

I don't know why I am doing this.  Is it because my mother wanted to be a priest?  Is it because I grew up in the feminist 1970's?  Maybe it's pure curiosity.  But I think it's something more personal than just curiosity, because I did not quit when I found parts of this pagan research turning away from ideals that are very important to me.  My religion is environmentalism.  And the pagans, with their love of fertility, make no sense to me in an age of 7 billions humans on the planet.  I am looking for a religion that tells us that we are not the pinnacle of evolution.  I want a story that tells us how to live in balance with nature.

The exciting stuff is on the Wikipedia page about Sotol, an agave alcohol that Native Americans may have been making for about 9000 years.  I think that the Spanish named an agave plant Henequin because they recognized how similar it was to their folklore of Harlequin.  Agave plants provide tools for hunting and fire making, and many other useful things.  I read with goosebumps about the murals found on the rock walls of the Fate Bell Shelter.

No comments:

Post a Comment