Friday, April 21, 2017

Dandelion & Sir Gawain ?

Ok, ok, I have no evidence.  But just suppose that I'm correct:  that the Taraskon is a dragon who represents the dandelion as a terribly strong drug plant.

Yesterday I had maybe 2 tiny bits of evidence.  1).  The scientific name of the dandelion sounds the same as the name of this dragon, Taraxacum.  And 2).  There is an old name for dandelion listed as "Witch's Gowan" - it suggests a possible drug plant.

First thing that I thought of when I noticed that the dandelion is called the witch's gowan:  what is a gowan? And then, could that be the same word as Gawain?  Well, gowan seems to mean daisy or flower.  And, yes, Gawain seems to be the same word.  I'm not certain yet.

Ok, so if I'm correct then I have a new understanding of the story of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. This is a work in progress so I might be wrong.  I think Sir Gawain and the Green Knight is about the dandelion as a source of drugs for shamanism.

It would be really exciting if it's true.  I have to do some more research.

No comments:

Post a Comment