Saturday, February 18, 2017

Random notes on Berehynia

Just some notes on what I found...

I watched a video from Turkey about how they make those blue-eye beads used as good luck charms.  It was interesting how the glass worker's furnace resembled a dragon.  I swear that I am not raving mad.  Maybe I'm a little crazy, and maybe I see connections that are not really there.  I've been really curious about good luck charms - they fit into this story about apotropaic magic.

https://youtu.be/DR3fpBqnDG8 link to Nazar Koy, Village of the bead makers

I don't remember where I read some folklore that connected blacksmiths with the underworld... Is that right?  I wonder if the furnace had some kind of folklore...?

I found the right page in Russian Wikipedia for Berehynia.  Actually it is spelled, "Berginya" in English (there seems to be several ways to spell this.)  So, Berginya, as I understand it, is the goddess of barley.  But this Russian page associates her with Venus, and does not seem to say anything about being a goddess of grain.  I know that I'm on the right page because it mentions Dodola / Paparuda.

https://ru.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Берегиня  link to Berginya in Russian Wikipedia

I really need help with translating this page.  I tried Google Chrome but I could barely make out what it said.  There's a bit near the end of the article that I want to understand.  It says something about a ritual involving a beet.  Now, I recall a fairy tale about a giant beet that they couldn't pull out of the ground.  Hm, next I will reread that tale.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gigantic_Turnip  link to the tale of the Gigantic Turnip on Wikipedia

...

No comments:

Post a Comment