Thursday, November 8, 2012

Something growing in my freezer?

Food safety

"There are also a few yeasts that can produce mycotoxins that harm people if ingested. One such yeast is Debaryomyces, a yeast which you have probably seen, felt, and eaten. Have you ever taken hot dogs out of the freezer, and they felt slimy, but you ate them anyway? That's Debaryomyces causing the sliminess as it actually grows at freezing temperatures at high salt concentrations and produces a nasty mycotoxin that diffuses into the hot dogs. Better switch to macaroni and cheese..."

this quote is from:  http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/toms_fungi/dec2002.html

I had no idea that food can spoil in the freezer.  I mean, I won't eat things that have been stored too long in the freezer, but I never heard of this before.

No comments:

Post a Comment