Saturday, November 3, 2012

Medlar Fruit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graft-chimera

This stuff gets really interesting.  The graft-chimera page is one of my favorite places to start surfing the internet.  I'll save you the trouble of looking up the word, "medlar" ~ a medlar is a rare fruit that will remind you of a crabapple or a pear.

I ate a few medlars while we were in Istanbul.  I don't remember it too well, but I think there was one fruit that was delicious, and the other ones not so good.  I must have eaten the other ones on the wrong day.  I found several medlar trees growing around where we lived.  An expat American friend there says they need to do a botanical expedition to Turkey.  He says that there are lots of rare plants, especially old garden plants, fruits and maybe vegetables.

My plan for this blog is to just work backwards through my notebooks and post anything useful that I have collected.  I think that there's a lot of material that I want to share.  It's going to be all mixed up and random.  I'll try to be brief, and to only post useful or interesting stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment