Monday, November 12, 2018

Zoo, Circus, Carnival

Zoo, circus, carnival- I think there are pagan origins that link them together.  But the zoo, that’s difficult to prove.  Maybe it’s a crazy idea, but what if I could connect the idea of the medieval bestiary with the zoo?  What if medieval bestiary books were made as royal wedding gifts?  Could these books have been fertility symbols?  Ok, ok, too many what if’s.

So, when I look for sirens in Russian folk art, I keep finding folk art lions...  I got to thinking about lions and unicorns as a male version of the willies.  [Remember, there is a whole book about the willies.  Title: The Dancing Goddesses by E.W.Barber]. What if European Pagans had peculiar ideas about animals, not only lions and unicorns, but all kinds of animals...?  I’m sure there is more to discover about this.

Reading list:

King Herla’s Quest and other medieval stories from Walter Map
by Thomas B. Leekley, Vanguard Press 1956

Splendor At Court, Renaissance Spectacle and the Theater of Power
by Roy Strong, Houghton Mifflin Co. 1973 (GT 4842)

¡Carnaval!
edited by Barbara Mauldin, Univ. of Washington Press 2004 (GT 4180)

No comments:

Post a Comment