Saturday, March 4, 2017

St. Martha & the month of March

This is just a blog.  I can write anything.  I don't have to be accurate, nor prove my facts.

I think I found another item of interest to pagans.  I'm still undecided about all this religion stuff.

My internet connection is about to turn off, so, quickly here is what I found:  March may be named for some goddess, not Mars originally.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martius_(month)

Suppose the Ides of March were a day of prayer and sacrifices for the beginning of the agricultural year.  Then when Caesar was warned to beware the Ides of March, maybe people dying on the Ides of March was a thing?  A very ancient thing?

So, I think Baba Marta and St. Martha are actually the same person.  I think she is a virgin who uses her potential fertility to overcome evil (such as crop failures) and tame the wild nature spirit (such as the Taraskon, or dragon, unicorn, etc).  This is a prayer for good outcomes in the spring before planting begins.

Now I've got to figure out why St Martha was sometimes called St Pelagius or St Marina.  I think that I can connect her with prayers for good fishing??
.

No comments:

Post a Comment