Thursday, June 25, 2015

Firfletting - is it sprang?

Firfletting is a rare textile technique from Norway.  I found this when Katherine Johnson sent me a link to a video from the Norsk Folkemuseum.  It is so exciting to find something new that I can do with my huge stash of yarn and string.

I am writing about firfletting without much knowledge.  I have only just found it this week.  I think it is a kind of braiding, but it looks a lot like sprang.  Looks like bobbin lace, too.  Somebody defined sprang as braiding on stretched warp threads.  But firfletting appears to be sprang worked with loose ends - the warp threads not stretched nor secured...  I wish Peter Collingwood were alive.  He would be able to say whether firfletting is a kind of sprang or not.

I saw a Wikipedia enrty (which one?  Maybe it was the page about sprang?) that gave a definition of braiding.  It pointed out the difference between braiding and weaving...  I think it said that weaving needs separate warp and weft threads, but in braiding, the threads can...  I forget.

I started collecting pictures of firfletting on my Pinterest page.  There is an old magazine article from the 1980's - maybe my library could get it for me.  The title was something like, "Firfletting - Fringe Braiding From Norway."  Many of the examples of firfletting that I found on Pinterest are complex fringed linen towels.  They could have been woven in pairs so that the fringe might be worked as sprang.  But, in the video, there is a woman doing firfletting on one towel  -so not sprang...?

There are a bunch of really old movies from the Norsk Folkemuseum.  I'm hoping to find more lost arts in those videos.

No comments:

Post a Comment